FIRM UPDATE: Our offices are open and we are accepting new clients. To protect our community and our legal team in response to the threat of COVID-19, we are offering video and telephone consultations. Please call or email our office to discuss your options.
Menu Contact
  • Super Lawyers
  • Avvo
  • The National Trial Lawyers
  • AV Preeminent | Martindale-Hubbell LawyerRating

Can tips mean you earn less than minimum wage?

In Missouri, there are many employees who do not realize that they are being overworked and underpaid. Some employers will even bully workers into covering longer shifts than is legal, while not even paying them a fair wage for the work. In other cases, workers may be unknowingly entitled to overtime pay or be receiving a lower wage than the legal minimum. Whatever the case, it is unacceptable, so if you suspect that your employer is not treating you fairly, do not be afraid to address the issue.

It can seem like a daunting prospect, yet sometimes confronting your employer can be enough to set matters straight. There may have been a clerical error or some other miscommunication that has led to you being given unfair hours or a diminished rate of pay. If this is the case, there is a chance that it can be quickly resolved.

However, you may worry that your job could be at risk if you complain. This is an understandable concern, but it is also important to remember that if your employer dismissed you for requesting fair payment, this is considered retaliatory and is against the law. While it is still an awful thing to experience, you may be able to challenge the decision and regain your job.

As this article on fair wages explains, some jobs come with a lower minimum wage requirement than others. There are several factors that can affect this, such as whether you have a job that means you often receive tips. However, your employer is obliged to cover the difference between the normal minimum wage and the amount you earn in wages plus tips, if this amount is lower.

As is the case with any concerns over your employee rights, you should not be afraid to make a claim against your employer if you need to. An attorney can advise you about your options and may be able to help you build your case and pursue the justice and remuneration you deserve.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case. Get A Free Consultation Speak With A Compassionate, Devoted Attorney Today. Please Call 816-399-5149.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Holman Schiavone, LLC
4600 Madison Avenue
Suite 810
Kansas City, MO 64112

Toll Free: 888-493-5074
Phone: 816-399-5149
Fax: 816-283-8739
Map & Directions

Review Us
Google Map