FIRM UPDATE: Our offices are open and we are accepting new clients. To protect our community and our legal team in response to the threat of COVID-19, we are offering video and telephone consultations. Please call or email our office to discuss your options.
Menu Contact
  • Super Lawyers
  • Avvo
  • The National Trial Lawyers
  • AV Preeminent | Martindale-Hubbell LawyerRating

Disability versus workers' compensation

When a worker is injured on the job, there are several different types of financial support that may assist them. You can access disability benefits, Social Security disability insurance and workers' compensation. Each of these programs carries different requirements and differing payout schedules. This article will discuss the difference between disability insurance and workers' compensation.

You can access workers' compensation insurance when you are injured at work. Conversely, state disability insurance activates when you are injured away from work but are unable to work due to the injury. Workers' compensation is generally paid out when your employer is liable for the injury you suffered ? for example, an injury that is connected to doing your job. State disability is paid out from the government.

Workers' compensation and state disability payments are temporary. Workers' compensation ends once it is determined that your condition is permanent. State disability payments generally end after about 52 weeks of payments. After that point, permanent disability benefits and medical assistance benefits activate. That is when Medicaid and Social Security disability insurance activate and begin providing benefits.

You cannot receive both state disability and workers' compensation. However, state disability will temporarily provide you with payments if your workers' compensation claim is disputed by the insurance company. Once your workers' compensation kicks in, then your state disability agency will generally request to be reimbursed for covering you.

What happens if you are approved for workers' compensation and state disability? In these instances, you may select whichever benefit provides you the highest dollar amount.

Working always entails its inherent risks. Some jobs are more dangerous than others. If you were injured while working, then you may want to speak with a lawyer. An attorney can help you fill out the paperwork and get the benefits you need. These benefits can keep you and your family in your home and hold you over until you are able to return to work.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case. Get A Free Consultation Speak With A Compassionate, Devoted Attorney Today. Please Call 816-399-5149.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Holman Schiavone, LLC
4600 Madison Avenue
Suite 810
Kansas City, MO 64112

Toll Free: 888-493-5074
Phone: 816-399-5149
Fax: 816-283-8739
Map & Directions

Review Us
Google Map