FIRM UPDATE: Our offices are open and we are accepting new clients. To protect our community and our legal team in response to the threat of COVID-19, we are offering video and telephone consultations. Please call or email our office to discuss your options.
Menu Contact
  • Super Lawyers
  • Avvo
  • The National Trial Lawyers
  • AV Preeminent | Martindale-Hubbell LawyerRating

How can the Trade Adjustment Assistance Program help you?

The federal government has numerous programs to assist workers who lose their jobs due to foreign trade. One of the largest of these initiatives is the Trade Adjustment Assistance Program, which is administered by the states on behalf of the Department of Labor. This article will go over how TAA may assist you if you lose your job.

TAA provides workers with job retraining, skills, resources and support to get a new job. The way you access these benefits is by filing a petition with the Department of Labor. You can file individually or as a group. You can file after you lost your job or before, if you anticipate that your job will be ended.

The DOL then investigates the petition and determines whether or not your job was lost due to foreign trade. If your petition is certified then you can apply to your State Workforce Agency for assistance. Depending on your rating, which is assigned by the DOL, you could be eligible for retraining, job search assistance, income assistance, relocation allowances and healthcare assistance. TAA is a fairly comprehensive program to assist workers.

Losing your job does not mean that it is the end, it only means that you have to start a new chapter. It may seem daunting or perhaps impossible, but there are programs out there that can assist you. However, you have to take the first step.

If you or one of your co-workers was treated unfairly by your employer, then you may want to speak with an attorney to review your rights. Regrettably, there are numerous examples every day of employers taking advantage of their employees. Sometimes the only person that can make sure your rights are enforced is you. An attorney can help you, but it is up to you to do it.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case. Get A Free Consultation Speak With A Compassionate, Devoted Attorney Today. Please Call 816-399-5149.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Holman Schiavone, LLC
4600 Madison Avenue
Suite 810
Kansas City, MO 64112

Toll Free: 888-493-5074
Phone: 816-399-5149
Fax: 816-283-8739
Map & Directions

Review Us
Google Map