FIRM UPDATE: Our offices are open and we are accepting new clients. To protect our community and our legal team in response to the threat of COVID-19, we are offering video and telephone consultations. Please call or email our office to discuss your options.
Menu Contact
  • Super Lawyers
  • Avvo
  • The National Trial Lawyers
  • AV Preeminent | Martindale-Hubbell LawyerRating

Obtaining unemployment benefits

If you have lost your job through no fault of your own, you might be eligible for unemployment benefits and compensation. With growing economic problems, organizations are laying off employees to reduce expenditure. Payroll taxes paid by most employees go to the Unemployment Insurance (UI) Fund. If you are unemployed, you might be able to receive a percentage of the amount you used to earn through the fund. But you must document your efforts of looking for a new job to be eligible.

You would not be eligible for UI benefits if you were fired for a valid reason. Administrators may meet with your ex-employer to get a reason for termination. The employer has the right to challenge your claim for unemployment compensation. You should have spent a specific period of time at the organization and paid monthly insurance to receive insurance benefits. In most cases, the benefits are only available for six months after termination.

You might be able to receive UI compensation after quitting your job. This is possible if you can prove that you did the right thing by resigning, and anyone else would have done the same. Some common scenarios include quitting because of sexual harassment, discrimination, unsafe working conditions or employer retaliation.

Filing a UI compensation claim is a complicated process. There are several ways to apply. You may apply by phone, mail or online. Once your claim has been filed, the state employment agency goes through the forms and conducts meetings with your ex-employer. If a decision cannot be reached after several meetings, the case may be appealed in state courts.

If you have been fired or forced to quit your job, an experienced employment attorney can help you obtain UI benefits. The attorney will be part of the negotiations and fight your case in court if required.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case. Get A Free Consultation Speak With A Compassionate, Devoted Attorney Today. Please Call 816-399-5149.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Holman Schiavone, LLC
4600 Madison Avenue
Suite 810
Kansas City, MO 64112

Toll Free: 888-493-5074
Phone: 816-399-5149
Fax: 816-283-8739
Map & Directions

Review Us
Google Map