FIRM UPDATE: Our offices are open and we are accepting new clients. To protect our community and our legal team in response to the threat of COVID-19, we are offering video and telephone consultations. Please call or email our office to discuss your options.
Menu Contact
  • Super Lawyers
  • Avvo
  • The National Trial Lawyers
  • AV Preeminent | Martindale-Hubbell LawyerRating

The procedure to report unpaid wages and recover back pay

According to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FSLA), all employers must pay their employees on time. Sometimes employers find it difficult to send wages on time, which creates complications. The law gives employees the right to make a complaint against their employer in case such a situation occurs. It is likely that the court will ask the employer to pay wages on time and pay the amount that they owe immediately. The amount that the employer owes is often called 'back pay.'  The process to report unpaid wages and recover back pay is fairly complicated, and all steps must be followed accurately.

When making a complaint according to FSLA, you must provide certain information. This information is not disclosed, and your identity is never revealed without your permission. The information required on the form includes:

  • Filer's name.
  • Address.
  • Phone number.
  • Name of employer organization.
  • Names of your managers.
  • Your daily tasks.
  • The dates on which you should have been paid.

Copies of your personal documents might also be required to make sure the process goes smoothly and takes as little time as possible. Once the complaint has been made, your employer cannot terminate you or take any action against you due to your filing.

Once the investigations are complete, the Wage and Hour Division (WHD) will help you in collecting your back pay. The WHD will oversee the payment of your back wages and make sure you receive the full amount. In case you do not feel that justice has been done, you have the right to file a lawsuit against your employer in court.

When filing a complaint according to FSLA, it is important to involve an experienced attorney. The attorney will help you file the complaint and receive back pay as well.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case. Get A Free Consultation Speak With A Compassionate, Devoted Attorney Today. Please Call 816-399-5149.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Holman Schiavone, LLC
4600 Madison Avenue
Suite 810
Kansas City, MO 64112

Toll Free: 888-493-5074
Phone: 816-399-5149
Fax: 816-283-8739
Map & Directions

Review Us
Google Map