FIRM UPDATE: Our offices are open and we are accepting new clients. To protect our community and our legal team in response to the threat of COVID-19, we are offering video and telephone consultations. Please call or email our office to discuss your options.
Menu Contact
  • Super Lawyers
  • Avvo
  • The National Trial Lawyers
  • AV Preeminent | Martindale-Hubbell LawyerRating

When to expect your last paycheck

If an employee is fired for job performance issues or due to downsizing or if the employee quit voluntarily, the state and federal laws urge the employer to pay the final check within the specified time period. In case of failure to do so, the employee has a legal right to file a complaint against the employer. Though most employers end up in such situations out of mere ignorance, they may have to deal with the consequences if they fail to comply.

Different states follow different laws when it comes to issuing the final paycheck. Furthermore, many states have different deadlines mandating the issuance of final paychecks depending on whether the employee was fired or has quit. For example, if an employee was fired or laid off, the employee may be required to give the final check within 72 hours. If the employee chose to resign, the employer may wait until the next scheduled payday. If the employee gave a day's notice prior to quitting, he would have to be paid within 72 hours as well.

Departing employees may have to wait for their check in accordance with the rules followed by the state they reside in. In states such as Mississippi and Georgia where no laws on this matter exist, the federal last paycheck law is implemented. The federal law states that the departing employee should be paid on or before the next scheduled payday.

If you have not received your paycheck on the next scheduled payday after leaving a job, you should contact your former employer to remedy the situation. If such attempts fail, it is advisable to contact your local Department of Labor (DOL), Wage and Hour Division office and file a complaint. You may also benefit from the assistance of an employment attorney who might be able to help you with the proceedings.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case. Get A Free Consultation Speak With A Compassionate, Devoted Attorney Today. Please Call 816-399-5149.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Holman Schiavone, LLC
4600 Madison Avenue
Suite 810
Kansas City, MO 64112

Toll Free: 888-493-5074
Phone: 816-399-5149
Fax: 816-283-8739
Map & Directions

Review Us
Google Map