Throughout Missouri, there are families from a wide range of backgrounds. Yet, some employers mistreat employees simply because they have a different national origin, have different religious beliefs or even because of their age, gender or sexuality. None of these matters should affect an individual’s employability, yet discrimination is still prevalent in the state.

Discrimination of this nature is illegal, yet it happens to countless workers every day. It can take the form of verbal abuse, hostile behavior or even passive aggressive messages.  Other forms of discrimination include blocking an individual from a promotion, paying them less or singling them out for unpleasant jobs or unfavorable hours for reasons unrelated to their job.

As this article on employee rights explains, employers are legally prohibited from discriminatory action based on a person’s religion. This forms part of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Under this act, employers are also expected to make reasonable accommodations for an employee’s religion. For example, where possible, this can include allowing a schedule that enables the worker to observe religious holiday or practices.

An employer can decline certain allowances if it would cause undue hardship. That is, if it would be detrimental to the business to make such accommodations. However, if you discuss your religious needs with your employer, you may be able to reach an agreement that works for you both.

If you feel that your rights have been breached or that you are being discriminated against for your religion or any other reason, you might want to consider legal action. An attorney can explain your options and may be able to assist you with filing your claim and pursuing a fair resolution to your situation.